Wednesday, May 12, 2010

LUXaholic Style Challenge!

By Natalie Naccarato

Sometimes I find myself in a bit of a style rut and I'm sure some of you can relate. I have a closet full of clothes that I'll suddenly feel uninspired by and despite my best intentions I end up wearing a favourite top or pair of jeans much too much! There is a certain comfort level in dressing in familiar outfits, and there's nothing wrong with that. However, if you feel you're in a rut and need some fresh new ideas to jazz up your wardrobe then lets get to it!

Instead of recommending you go buy a laundry list of new items I am instead suggesting you look to your very own wardrobe. I'd like to challenge all of you lovely LUXaholics to really break out of your comfort zone and force yourself to put together new and interesting outfits using what you already own. I know the term "Shop your closet" is getting tired, but it really can be quite helpful...not only to your wallet, but your appearance as well! So, using what you already own choose one (or more!) of the following challenges for fun. I find that when I attempt something like this it forces me to be creative and look at my wardrobe in a different way! I'd like to acknowledge The Glamourai, an NYC blogger that inspired this post - check out her blog for loads of tips on daily dressing!

Choose a One Week Challenge:
1. Do not wear pants for one whole week...instead experiment with skirts, dresses and fun tights!
2. Do not wear sweats (unless working out) for one whole week...even at home! That's right, sometimes what you need to get out of a style rut is a little more glamour and a lot less fleece.
3. Choose a different print to wear (stripes, polka dots, florals) every day of the week on at least one item of clothing...sweater, top, skirt, etc.
4. Do you have one or two go-to blouses that you wear all the time? How about a pair of favourite pants? Well, say bye-bye to them for one whole week! Refresh your memory of what else is in your closet and use those forgotten items to inspire a new look!
5. Borrow one thing every day from someone else's closet and incorporate it into your look. This is a tricky one, but for those of you who live with stylish others who do not mind sharing, it could work! Nab a sweater from your sister, a pair of pants from your mom, a belt from a roommate or a collared shirt from the guy in your life. Remember to add a belt to anything oversized so that your waist doesn't get lost!
6. Wear one different accessory in a creative way every day! Use a scarf as a belt, a brooch as a hair accessory, a ring as a necklace charm, etc. The possibilities are endless for this one!!
7. Make your own one week challenge. Everyone is different...perhaps you wear skirts all the time and want to try pants for a change, or you always stick to a fav colour like blue and need to reincorporate that red sweater at the back of your closet into your look. Whatever the case may be, make a challenge catered to you that'll push your comfort zone and get your creativity flowing!

I find that doing a challenge like this helps me realize what really is useable in my closet and what items I should just get rid of already! If you've been wearing the same style sweater vest to work day after day and have it in every colour, maybe it's time to chuck a couple and replace it with a fresh new cardigan in a pretty print. Hopefully this challenge will help open your eyes to your closet in a new way!

Have fun, and let us know what challenge you chose and if you were successful!



















Photo Credits: Cartoon wardrobe photo from www.fashioncupboard.com and above photo from www.stylishthought.com

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this blog!!! I found it very helpful! I think I definately going to try a few of the challenges! My favourites are 3,4,6. Thanks for all the great tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Let us know how it goes if you choose a challenge!

    ReplyDelete